Sonntag, 18. Januar 2015

School

Hi people on the internet,
First off, sorry for publishing this post on Sunday. I didn't make it for Saturday because I was out all day.
Today I want to talk about school. I know that sounds incredibly boring, but the ten and a half years I was in school, a lot happened, both for students in general and in my personal life. Of course the biggest thing to happen is the Internet. Some praise it as a revolution of teaching and learning, others are afraid of the younger generation not using it properly. I just wanted to write down my opinion: While there are things I don't like about the web, I think it is an incredibly useful tool. We have access to most of humanities knowledge with just a tap. It might be true that we don't have to learn some things anymore, but I don't see it that way. If we don't have to calculate every calculation manually but with a calculator we are much faster and can go on with other things in math. The same applies to history. Searching for something in an encyclopedia is much slower than the internet, so we can spend more time with the actual thing than with just searching it. And that's the case for almost every subject, so I think we don't do enough with the web rather than too much.
That was the first thing, now I want to talk about something personal. When I was in elementary school, I didn't have many friends. Most of the time I was alone, and I made just fine. But sadly, it wasn't just the loneliness, I got mobbed. Back then I didn't know anything about it, and while it didn't feel good, I did make it through elementary.
When I got in middle school, I made a clean cut with my past and started new. And it really did work, in my new class there was nobody that didn't like me. While I was certainly not friends with everyone, at least nobody hated me either.
And then there was this girl in my class. She wasn't very smart (sorry to say it like that, but she needed a special school program, and she definitely wouldn't have made it through school without it), and guess what, she got mobbed. As somebody who went through the same thing, I should have done something to prevent it. But I didn't. Actually, I sometimes said bad things to her myself, and it wasn't pretty. I can only imagine how she must have felt. Looking back, and being completely honest, this is the only thing I would do different if I could do it again, it is one of the things that keep in up at night.
I didn't talk to her since middle school has ended, and that was almost three years ago. Sometimes I wonder what has happened to her since then, I hope she has done the same thing I have, made a clean cut and began again from zero.
While I really regret anything that has happened to her, I think it has changed my perspective on many things. Now when something like that happens, I do something to help them, and I even feel bad when I talk about someone behind his or her back.
I hope you enjoyed reading and I see you next week. Bye.

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen