Samstag, 3. Januar 2015

Time to know me better

Hi people on the internet,
this is my second post, but the first one was just a short explanation of why I'm doing this, so I consider this my first "big" post.
What I want to do is pretty much summed up in the title. In the following weeks I want you to know me better and everything that matters to me. 
First I want to write about my language. As written before, I currently live in South Tyrol, a region in the north of Italy, where there are three official languages: german, italian and ladin (ok, I have no idea if ladin is the right translation, but in german it is called "ladinisch"). They also teach english at school, and that's why I happen to speak three languages. German is my native language, so it is the language I know best. Since first grade we got teached italian, and I don't speak it really bad either, even if it is not the greatest. The year I got in fourth grade, South Tyrolean schools introduced english as a subject, and at first I didn't like it. The english teachers we had in primary school were terrible, they didn't speak the language much better than we did. In middle school it got better and I learned the grammatical foundations and built up a basic vocabulary. 
Then in high school something happened. At that time I was a big fan of How I Met Your Mother and Season 8 just started airing on german television. But I was so curious about how it continued that I tried everything to avoid waiting one week for the next episode, until I began watching episodes online, in english. At that time I realized that english is far more than a school subject, it started to have an actual application in my life. So it happened that I learned the language faster and better than my classmates, and I got the best marks. I remember one time we had to write a short text about the progress humanity made the last 100 years, and when I got the text back, I got the best mark possible. I was shocked. My teacher said my language was far better than the one of most other people, even those in senior year. 
Since then, I have started to be on YouTube for way to much time of my life and have fallen in love with many american TV shows, with Orphan Black being the most recent one. Also, I started to wonder if I was actually able to live somewhere where they only speak english, so I decided to make an exchange year somewhere. It was pretty difficult to figure out where to go, but at the end I was able to make a decision. And now we're here, in the middle of planning.
I hope you enjoyed reading today's blog, and if you did I hope you continue following me on my journey. And feel free to leave a comment.
Bye!

PS. I wanted to announce that I will write a new blog entry every Saturday (or Sundays really, really early, depends on where you are in the world), so stay tuned for more.

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen